MDMR closes oyster reefs due to heavy rains
Published: March 31,2014
GULF OF MEXICO — Heavy rain has prompted Mississippi officials to close oyster reefs.
Mississippi’s Department of Marine Resources said in a news release that all reefs closed at 4 p.m. Friday. No specific date for re-opening was given. Officials said the reefs will reopen when water samples meet state criteria.
Heavy rainfall can affect salinity and bacteria levels in oyster areas.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager