MDMR closes oyster reefs due to heavy rains
Published: March 31,2014
GULF OF MEXICO — Heavy rain has prompted Mississippi officials to close oyster reefs.
Mississippi’s Department of Marine Resources said in a news release that all reefs closed at 4 p.m. Friday. No specific date for re-opening was given. Officials said the reefs will reopen when water samples meet state criteria.
Heavy rainfall can affect salinity and bacteria levels in oyster areas.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- (VIDEO) ALAN TURNER: Wilson says he’s ready for elected office
- Choctaws' new hospital nearing completion
- Mississippi takes an incentives licking, keeps on ticking
- Mississippi furniture makers on rebound with more exports
- Plan would give up to $1.5M to music recording, concerts