MDMR closes oyster reefs due to heavy rains
Published: March 31,2014
GULF OF MEXICO — Heavy rain has prompted Mississippi officials to close oyster reefs.
Mississippi’s Department of Marine Resources said in a news release that all reefs closed at 4 p.m. Friday. No specific date for re-opening was given. Officials said the reefs will reopen when water samples meet state criteria.
Heavy rainfall can affect salinity and bacteria levels in oyster areas.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation