MDMR closes oyster reefs due to heavy rains
Published: March 31,2014
GULF OF MEXICO — Heavy rain has prompted Mississippi officials to close oyster reefs.
Mississippi’s Department of Marine Resources said in a news release that all reefs closed at 4 p.m. Friday. No specific date for re-opening was given. Officials said the reefs will reopen when water samples meet state criteria.
Heavy rainfall can affect salinity and bacteria levels in oyster areas.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- Ikea confirms plan for Memphis store
- Former Lane Furniture plant sold for $1.45 million
- BILL CRAWFORD: Lowest Common Denominators, Politicians, and Common Core
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- Grenada plastics company to expand, add 60 jobs
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- McCrory joins Epps in asking for trial delay