Ingalls awarded $497M contract to build another cutter
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 1,2014
Tags: contract, cutter, defense, Department of Homeland Security, Ingalls, manufacture, manufacturer, manufacturing, military, National Security Cutter, ship, shipbuilder, shipbuilding, shipyard, U.S. Coast Guard
PASCAGOULA – U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) reports a $497-million military shipbuilding contract award to Ingalls Shipyard in Pascagoula to construct the seventh national security cutter (NSC 7) for the U.S. Coast Guard.
Cochran said the Department of Homeland Security is amending an existing contract with Ingalls to provide FY2014 appropriations to construct NSC 7.
Cochran serves on the Senate appropriations subcommittee with jurisdiction over the Coast Guard and the Department of Homeland Security.
“National security cutters provide the Coast Guard with vessels that improve its ability to protect the nation’s coasts and waterways from terrorism, human trafficking, drug smuggling and other maritime threats. This award affirms the good work being done by Mississippi shipbuilders to modernize the Coast Guard fleet,” Cochran said. “Combined with advanced appropriations provided by Congress for the purchase of long lead time materials, this contract should ensure that NSC construction can proceed economically and without disruption. The purchase of long lead time material to ‘keep the line hot’ will result in a direct savings of $40 million.”
At a subcommittee hearing on March 12, Cochran questioned Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson about the ongoing budget constraints on Coast Guard procurement and acquisition accounts. The FY2015 budget recommends $1.08 billion for acquisitions and improvements, a 27 percent decrease from FY2014 funding levels. The budget request does, however, include funding to complete construction of NSC 7 and to begin the procurement of parts for the eighth NSC.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years