Pickering returns funds to city, fire department
Published: April 4,2014
BATESVILLE — State Auditor Stacey Pickering has returned $30,000 in recovered funds to two agencies in Panola County.
The city of Sardis received $21,204 following the investigation of former city clerk Odessa Johnson.
Pickering says Johnson embezzled $28,033 from the city from January 2006 through April 2009. In 2012, she was sentenced to nearly three years in prison and five years’ probation. She was ordered to pay $30,620 in restitution. She has repaid $5,000.
Coles Point Volunteer Fire Department in Batesville received $10,000. The funds were recovered from an embezzlement investigation of Martha Chrestman, a former secretary and treasurer for the department’s board of commissioners.
Pickering says Chrestman embezzled $30,973 over a four-year period. In January, she pleaded guilty to embezzlement and is to be sentenced on April 10.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Law to bolster utilities’ economic development efforts gets mixed reactions
- Developers withdraw zoning application for former country club
- Lawmakers: Time to raze IHL
- Rhythm & Blues Hall of Fame planning gets underway
- DAVID WILLIAMS: Smart traffic signals pave way for better driving in connected world
- Office occupancy edged up throughout Metro Jackson
- Supermarket incentives for distressed communities die in House