Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 15,2014
OXFORD — Billups Coffee has launched in Oxford, continuing a longtime Billups family tradition of entrepreneurship in the South.
Mississippi natives as well as alumni and supporters of Ole Miss Guy and Hattie Billups founded Billups Coffee and decided to headquarter the company’s operations in their hometown of Oxford.
The Billups family founded Billups Petroleum in Mississippi in the late 1940s. Billups Petroleum grew to include gas stations throughout the Southern states and East Coast, and the famous “Fill-Up with Billups” slogan and signature handshake sign became well-recognized icons for travelers throughout the Southeast during the ’50s and ’60s. Billups Petroleum became the #1 independent oil company in the United States, and the first successful oil company from the South.
By the mid ’60s, Billups Petroleum was purchased by various entities including Charter Marketing, Citgo and Exxon.
“Billups Coffee signifies a new chapter for us,” said Guy Billups. “We wanted to pay homage to our family history in the petroleum industry by keeping the ‘Fill-Up with Billups’ slogan and incorporating a retro theme into the Billups Coffee brand.”
Billups Coffee is available for purchase online at www.BillupsCoffee.com, shipping nationwide and will soon be carried in retail locations.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation
- McDaniel cites Gunn's challenge in his attempt to overturn loss to Cochran
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- Outside group files arguments supporting McDaniel
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- UPDATE — David Watkins says JRA left him in dark about HUD's Farish St. involvement
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- Once the bane of only Southerners, kudzu is migrating north and west
- MDEQ fines metalworking firm over hazardous waste