Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 15,2014
OXFORD — Billups Coffee has launched in Oxford, continuing a longtime Billups family tradition of entrepreneurship in the South.
Mississippi natives as well as alumni and supporters of Ole Miss Guy and Hattie Billups founded Billups Coffee and decided to headquarter the company’s operations in their hometown of Oxford.
The Billups family founded Billups Petroleum in Mississippi in the late 1940s. Billups Petroleum grew to include gas stations throughout the Southern states and East Coast, and the famous “Fill-Up with Billups” slogan and signature handshake sign became well-recognized icons for travelers throughout the Southeast during the ’50s and ’60s. Billups Petroleum became the #1 independent oil company in the United States, and the first successful oil company from the South.
By the mid ’60s, Billups Petroleum was purchased by various entities including Charter Marketing, Citgo and Exxon.
“Billups Coffee signifies a new chapter for us,” said Guy Billups. “We wanted to pay homage to our family history in the petroleum industry by keeping the ‘Fill-Up with Billups’ slogan and incorporating a retro theme into the Billups Coffee brand.”
Billups Coffee is available for purchase online at www.BillupsCoffee.com, shipping nationwide and will soon be carried in retail locations.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Healthcare Marketplace to look much the same in 2015