TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 17,2014
NORTHEAST MISSISSIPPI — Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) president and CEO Bill Johnson visited northeast Mississippi yesterday for a series of meetings and industrial tours to support and encourage continuing economic growth in the region.
TVA works with local power companies and regional, state and community partners to promote economic development. These efforts have resulted in 6,000 jobs added and retained and $1.4 billion invested by companies in northeast Mississippi in the past 18 months, according to TVA.
“Good jobs are coming to Mississippi and it is vital that we keep job opportunities growing,” Johnson said. “The two companies I saw today are among the dozens that have put down roots in the Magnolia State in the past two years. TVA is proud to have played a role with our many partners in these successes.”
Johnson toured Tecumseh Products Company in Verona. Tecumseh, which makes refrigeration and air-conditioning products, announced an expansion of the Verona facility last year to meet increased global demand. The expansion will retain 350 jobs and create 150 jobs over the next five years.
He also visited Yokohama Tire Company, which is constructing a new manufacturing facility in West Point. Yokohama will have an initial capital investment of $300 million and potential plant expansions could reach up to four times the original investment level. The plant, scheduled to open in 2015, is anticipated to create 500 jobs initially and up to 2,000 jobs when all phases are complete.
While in the area, Johnson met with local business and political leaders to discuss what other opportunities should be pursued to bring jobs to the area.
“You can expect that our economic development efforts will not slow down. We want quality jobs for Mississippi and the Valley and we are thrilled to be a continuing partner in those efforts,” Johnson said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal