Capital City voters to elect new mayor in runoff
Published: April 22,2014
JACKSON — Jackson voters will choose today between City Council member Tony Yarber and Chokwe Antar Lumumba, son of the late Mayor Chokwe Lumumba, for mayor.
Polls open at 7 a.m. and close at 7 p.m.
The election comes a month after the funeral of the elder Lumumba, who was elected last June and died Feb. 25.
The candidates run without party affiliation. The winner will complete late mayor’s term.
The younger Lumumba is an attorney. Yarber is serving his second term on the city council.
They were the top vote-getters in a field of 13 candidates in the first round of balloting on April 8.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Bill would use casino taxes for bridges, little for tourism
- Cal-Maine income skyrockets as prices rise and costs shrink
- Lawmakers move on bonds despite complaints from colleges and universities