Capital City voters to elect new mayor in runoff
Published: April 22,2014
JACKSON — Jackson voters will choose today between City Council member Tony Yarber and Chokwe Antar Lumumba, son of the late Mayor Chokwe Lumumba, for mayor.
Polls open at 7 a.m. and close at 7 p.m.
The election comes a month after the funeral of the elder Lumumba, who was elected last June and died Feb. 25.
The candidates run without party affiliation. The winner will complete late mayor’s term.
The younger Lumumba is an attorney. Yarber is serving his second term on the city council.
They were the top vote-getters in a field of 13 candidates in the first round of balloting on April 8.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Court rules board can discipline West Virginia radiologist
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Legislators begin work on FY2016 state budget
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter