Capital City voters to elect new mayor in runoff
Published: April 22,2014
JACKSON — Jackson voters will choose today between City Council member Tony Yarber and Chokwe Antar Lumumba, son of the late Mayor Chokwe Lumumba, for mayor.
Polls open at 7 a.m. and close at 7 p.m.
The election comes a month after the funeral of the elder Lumumba, who was elected last June and died Feb. 25.
The candidates run without party affiliation. The winner will complete late mayor’s term.
The younger Lumumba is an attorney. Yarber is serving his second term on the city council.
They were the top vote-getters in a field of 13 candidates in the first round of balloting on April 8.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Realtors chooses Nita Wingard
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- Entergy agrees to cut $35M from its new rate plan
- No debate, but Cochran and Childers lobby for votes for Senate
- Former DPS employees sentenced for selling bogus driver's licenses