Capital City voters to elect new mayor in runoff
Published: April 22,2014
JACKSON — Jackson voters will choose today between City Council member Tony Yarber and Chokwe Antar Lumumba, son of the late Mayor Chokwe Lumumba, for mayor.
Polls open at 7 a.m. and close at 7 p.m.
The election comes a month after the funeral of the elder Lumumba, who was elected last June and died Feb. 25.
The candidates run without party affiliation. The winner will complete late mayor’s term.
The younger Lumumba is an attorney. Yarber is serving his second term on the city council.
They were the top vote-getters in a field of 13 candidates in the first round of balloting on April 8.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending
- Top 10 finalists chosen for C Spire Conerly Trophy
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- State’s new banking chief Charlotte Corley has deep roots in the business
- Stricklin: Deer parasites don't affect quality of venison