Capital City voters to elect new mayor in runoff
Published: April 22,2014
JACKSON — Jackson voters will choose today between City Council member Tony Yarber and Chokwe Antar Lumumba, son of the late Mayor Chokwe Lumumba, for mayor.
Polls open at 7 a.m. and close at 7 p.m.
The election comes a month after the funeral of the elder Lumumba, who was elected last June and died Feb. 25.
The candidates run without party affiliation. The winner will complete late mayor’s term.
The younger Lumumba is an attorney. Yarber is serving his second term on the city council.
They were the top vote-getters in a field of 13 candidates in the first round of balloting on April 8.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — Roger Wicker: Profile in discouragement
- Tommy Robertson indicted on five counts of embezzlement
- BILL CRAWFORD — More jobs, but fewer with jobs, huh?
- Despite obstacles, craft beer industry growing
- ANITA MODAK-TRURAN — Mississippi’s motion picture renaissance
- Finding your flexible space — Regus banks on high demand for customizable work spaces
- Miss. children's hospital plans $150 million expansion
- Watch out for wildlife while driving on roads, highways
- State's ventures into alt-fuel markets net few jobs