Communities vie for TVA sustainability designation
Published: April 22,2014
Tags: Blount County Tennessee, city of Memphis, city of Morristown, city of Murfressboro, city of Scotsboro, City of Starkville, City of Tupelo, electricity, energy, environment, Florence Alabama, Hamblem County Tennessee, Huntsville Alabama, John Bradley, Logan County Kentucky, Maury County Tennessee, power, real estate, Shelby County Tennessee, sustainability, Tennessee Valley Authority, utility, Valley Sustainable Communities
STARKVILLE and TUPELO — Thirteen communities in the Southeast are hoping to be designated as sustainable communities by the Tennessee Valley Authority.
TVA designated 13 locations as Valley Sustainable Communities last year and says 13 more are about to begin the review process. TVA executive John Bradley says the idea is to help communities be prepared when companies look for a site for their business.
Bradley says corporate executives report sustainability is increasingly important in locating a site.
The communities beginning the process in 2014 are Starkville; Tupelo; Blount County, Tenn.; Crossville/Cumberland County, Tenn.; Florence, Ala.; Glasgow, Ky.; Huntsville, Ala.; Logan County, Ky.; Maury County, Tenn.; Memphis/Shelby County, Tenn.; Morristown/Hamblen County, Tenn.; Murfreesboro, Tenn.; Scottsboro, Ala.
TVA, the nation’s largest public utility, serves about 9 million people in seven southeastern states.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Leadership in Law nomination form
- Ex-state employee gets jail time for embezzling from school
- MDOT study: State's airports generate $2.5B-plus in economic activity