Plans unveiled for large shooting range on Coast
Published: April 23,2014
GULFPORT — Businessman David Comstock is planning to transform part of the Seaway Marine Center in the Bernard Bayou Industrial Park in Gulfport into a multi-million dollar gun range.
“There’s a demand all over the country for this type of venue,” Comstock said yesterday after the city council amended local zoning rules to allow shooting ranges in the area.
“And now that we’ve got a defined location that we’re going to, we’ll finish the business plan and get it up and get it going very quickly,” said Comstock.
Plans for the 26,500 square feet of space include eight lanes of shooting range, 3,000 square feet of retail space, and a training area. Comstock said the trainer lined up to work at the gun range has even offered to train Gulfport police for free.
Comstock said his range will be a box within a box inside the metal storage building and will be virtually soundproof. The business will include a retail store with guns, ammo and other merchandise. A classroom and archery range will be on the second floor.
Comstock said $4 million to $5 million will be invested. The business will employ about 24 people.
Comstock hopes to have a grand opening in less than nine months.
Comstock is negotiating for property in Stone County where he hopes to build an outdoor range. Harrison County denied his request for a permit for an outdoor range.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years