Entergy’s earnings soar due to cold weather
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 24,2014
NEW ORLEANS — Entergy Corporation saw first quarter 2014 as-reported earnings of $401.2 million, or $2.24 per share, compared with $161.4 million, or 90 cents per share, for first quarter 2013.
On an operational basis, Entergy’s first quarter 2014 earnings were $410.1 million, or $2.29 per share, compared with $167.7 million, or 94 cents per share, in first quarter 2013.
“The story for first quarter results was net revenue,” said Entergy chairman and CEO Leo Denault. “The cold weather we experienced this past winter put stress on the power and gas systems, driving volatility and higher prices, and gave a glimpse of the longer term path these markets are on due to years of market design issues and regulatory intervention. The market prices realized this winter allowed us to capture significant value through our hedging strategy, and it highlighted the diversification value of our nuclear assets in that region.”
“Utility revenue also benefitted from the cold weather. However, even on a weather-adjusted basis, sales growth was positive for residential, commercial and industrial customer classes and was consistent with our expectation for continued sales growth.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- McDaniel cites Gunn's challenge in his attempt to overturn loss to Cochran
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- HCC works deal with MSU Extension Service for land to expand
- UPDATE — David Watkins says JRA left him in dark about HUD's Farish St. involvement
- Report: Mississippi has worst child poverty rate in U.S.
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- Education leaders applying for $15M in grants for pre-kindergarten program