UMMC merging rehab services with Methodist
Published: April 24,2014
Tags: * Jackson * Medical * Mall * Harvey * Walden * Celebrity * Fit * Club * MBJ-TV * health * and * wellness, health care, medicine, merger, Methodist Rehabilitation Center, rehabilitation, University of Mississippi Medical Center
JACKSON — The University of Mississippi Medical Center will merge some functions with a neighboring rehabilitation hospital.
The College Board approved the agreement with Methodist Rehabilitation Center today.
UMMC will close its inpatient rehabilitation unit over the next two years and move it into Methodist’s building, hiring some of Methodist’s physicians and nurse practitioners as faculty members. Some UMMC employees may shift to Methodist, but no layoffs are expected.
UMMC and Methodist will continue as separate organizations.
As part of the deal, UMMC pledges to create an institute to study neurological and related physical disabilities. Methodist will help pay for the startup costs of the institute and part of the salary of its director.
UMMC says it will also consider creating a department of physical medicine and rehabilitation in its medical school.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image