Two arrested for platinum theft from DuPont’s Delisle Plant
Published: April 25,2014
Tags: Angela Marie Simmons, conspiracy, crime, Delisle Plant, DuPont Corportation, Harrison County Sheriff, law, law enforcement, legal, manuafcturing, Melvin Brisolara, platinum, theft, Willard Kevin Gallagher
GULFPORT — A Gulfport man and his estranged wife have been arrested in the theft of six pounds of platinum from the DuPont Corporation’s Delisle Plant.
Willard Kevin Gallagher, 54, is charged with grand larceny. Angela Marie Simmons, 48, of Virginia Beach, Va., was arrested on a charge of conspiracy to commit a crime.
Harrison County Sheriff Melvin Brisolara said in a news release the theft occurred in 2007 while Gallagher was a DuPont employee. He said the case was re-opened in 2013 and new evidence was uncovered, linking Gallagher to the crime. He said investigators also learned Simmons helped conspire to sell the platinum.
DuPont uses platinum to manufacture thermocouples.
Platinum is considered a precious metal and its estimated value in 2007 was approximately $1,260 per ounce.
Gallagher and Simmons are being held on $5,000 bond each. It was unclear whether Gallagher and Simmons have attorneys.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Leadership in Law nomination form
- Ex-state employee gets jail time for embezzling from school
- MDOT study: State's airports generate $2.5B-plus in economic activity