Former editor the Winston County Journal in Louisville, Juanita McCown Hight, dies
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 1,2014
Juanita McCown Hight, former editor the Winston County Journal in Louisville, has died. She was born in Winston County near Plattsburg and was a 1934 graduate of the Mississippi University for Women with a bachelor of science in home economics. Hight began her career as a teacher.
The Hight family formerly owned the Winston County Journal. She joined its staff when her husband, William H. Hight, took over the newspaper in 1943. She later was editor and chief. Hight was also active in the Mississippi Press Association until 1958 when the family sold the newspaper to Joe Cook.
She also was involved with the First Baptist Church and in establishing its education building and church media ministry.
She and William Hight were married 42 years. He died in 1982.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- Margaritaville owner files for bankruptcy before landlord hearing
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- Severstal completes the sale of Columbus plant to Steel Dynamics
- Another marker going up on Mississippi Country Music Trail
- Researchers fly drone into hurricane for the first time
- House votes for transfer of Yellow Creek Port land to state
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner