Granville Tate and Jana Edmondson-Cooper honored by MC School of Law
Mississippi College School of Law leaders have selected Granville Tate and Jana Edmondson-Cooper as the 2014 Lawyer and Young Lawyer of the Year. The awards, presented annually by the law school, recognizes lawyers who have been a credit to the law school and legal community. Tate is chairman of the board of directors at Brunini Law Firm in Jackson. In this role, he advises boards of directors and senior officers regarding corporate governance responsibilities. He is recognized in Woodward/White’s Best Lawyers in America in the fields of banking and finance law. Tate was also named to the Mississippi Business Journal’s 2013 Leaders in Law.
Edmondson-Cooper serves as the bilingual staff attorney at Georgia Legal Services. In this role, she provides bilingual legal counsel and representation to low-income individuals in federal and state administrative forums as well as courts of law. Edmondson-Cooper was appointed to fill a vacancy on the Supreme Court of Georgia Commission on Interpreters in 2013. She also serves as regional vice president for the Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys.
The law school also selected Stephen Dillard, of the Georgia Court of Appeals, as the 2014 State Judge of the Year. The 2014 Federal Judge of the Year was given to Magistrate Judge Karen Hayes, of the Western District of Louisiana. Mary Largent Purvis, director of the Academic Success Program at MC Law, received the law school’s Community Spirit Award.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Hosemann to launch crowd funding program
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- ALAN TURNER: Education in Mississippi – good and bad news
- JOSH MABUS: The Tao of Road House
- Judge: Caesars can demolish Harrah's casino in Mississippi