PRCC inducts six into Lifetime Achievement Hall of Fame
Pearl River Community College recently honored six outstanding alumni with induction into the Lifetime Achievement Hall of Fame. Honored were entertainer Jimmy Buffett, the late Delos H. Burks of Picayune, James Ginn of Diamondhead, Francis Herrin of Hattiesburg, Howell Purvis of Purvis and Donnie Waits of Gulfport.
Burks graduated from PRCC in 1936, served in the U.S. Army Air Corps in World War II and went on to distinguish himself in state government, including service in the state House of Representatives, and the Mississippi Air National Guard. He retired as a major general.
Ginn, a 1959 graduate, worked 42 years for Hancock Bank, retiring as executive vice president. Herrin also worked his entire career for Shell Oil after graduating from Pearl River in 1958.
Purvis, a 1955 graduate, served twice as a naval aviator and for 20 years as a U.S. Secret Service agent.
Waits also graduated in 1955, heading into a 40-year career as an attorney while serving in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve. He retired from the military as a lieutenant colonel and from the legal profession as an assistant U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Mississippi.
Pearl River County Justice Court Judge James Hal Breland accepted the award for Buffett, who lived with the Breland family while attending Pearl River in 1965-66. Buffett also sent a video-taped acceptance.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force