USM finally holds inauguration ceremony for Bennett
Published: May 5,2014
Tags: administrator, education, educator, higher education, inauguration, Institution of Higher Learning, Michael Adams, President, public university, Rodney Bennett, University of Georgia, University of Southern Mississippi
HATTIESBURG — More than a year after he took the reins at the University of Southern Mississippi, President Rodney Bennett has been officially inaugurated.
Bennett is being hailed as the first black person to lead a historically white university in Mississippi.
The 10th president of the 15,000-student university has already faced a major challenge, leading the recovery of the Hattiesburg campus from a tornado that struck days after he was chosen by the College Board, but before he even officially started the job.
Bennett was previously the vice president of student affairs at the University of Georgia. The former president of that university, Michael Adams, was the guest speaker at the inauguration.
Another inauguration was held Thursday at USM’s Gulf Coast campus in Long Beach.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant