USM finally holds inauguration ceremony for Bennett
Published: May 5,2014
Tags: administrator, education, educator, higher education, inauguration, Institution of Higher Learning, Michael Adams, President, public university, Rodney Bennett, University of Georgia, University of Southern Mississippi
HATTIESBURG — More than a year after he took the reins at the University of Southern Mississippi, President Rodney Bennett has been officially inaugurated.
Bennett is being hailed as the first black person to lead a historically white university in Mississippi.
The 10th president of the 15,000-student university has already faced a major challenge, leading the recovery of the Hattiesburg campus from a tornado that struck days after he was chosen by the College Board, but before he even officially started the job.
Bennett was previously the vice president of student affairs at the University of Georgia. The former president of that university, Michael Adams, was the guest speaker at the inauguration.
Another inauguration was held Thursday at USM’s Gulf Coast campus in Long Beach.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter
- Cochran's legal counsel asks Court to toss McDaniel's lawsuit
- Ex-Delta mayor indicted, accused of stealing city property
- Williams-Sonoma expanding, adding nearly 1,000 jobs
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- More than half-dozen groups file charter school applications
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- State Rep. Patterson switches from Democrats to GOP