USM finally holds inauguration ceremony for Bennett
Published: May 5,2014
Tags: administrator, education, educator, higher education, inauguration, Institution of Higher Learning, Michael Adams, President, public university, Rodney Bennett, University of Georgia, University of Southern Mississippi
HATTIESBURG — More than a year after he took the reins at the University of Southern Mississippi, President Rodney Bennett has been officially inaugurated.
Bennett is being hailed as the first black person to lead a historically white university in Mississippi.
The 10th president of the 15,000-student university has already faced a major challenge, leading the recovery of the Hattiesburg campus from a tornado that struck days after he was chosen by the College Board, but before he even officially started the job.
Bennett was previously the vice president of student affairs at the University of Georgia. The former president of that university, Michael Adams, was the guest speaker at the inauguration.
Another inauguration was held Thursday at USM’s Gulf Coast campus in Long Beach.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- DAVID DALLAS — Just how long can Dan stand?
- Cal-Maine income skyrockets as prices rise and costs shrink
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Lawmakers move on bonds despite complaints from colleges and universities
- Grain scandal takes its toll on Delta farmers
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Business groups file briefs in support of Kemper coal plant rehearing
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love