USM finally holds inauguration ceremony for Bennett
Published: May 5,2014
Tags: administrator, education, educator, higher education, inauguration, Institution of Higher Learning, Michael Adams, President, public university, Rodney Bennett, University of Georgia, University of Southern Mississippi
HATTIESBURG — More than a year after he took the reins at the University of Southern Mississippi, President Rodney Bennett has been officially inaugurated.
Bennett is being hailed as the first black person to lead a historically white university in Mississippi.
The 10th president of the 15,000-student university has already faced a major challenge, leading the recovery of the Hattiesburg campus from a tornado that struck days after he was chosen by the College Board, but before he even officially started the job.
Bennett was previously the vice president of student affairs at the University of Georgia. The former president of that university, Michael Adams, was the guest speaker at the inauguration.
Another inauguration was held Thursday at USM’s Gulf Coast campus in Long Beach.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Deal for daily Jackson-Orlando flight in works with Allegiant
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts