Ex-DMR director wants more time before sentencing for corruption
Published: May 11,2014
Tags: bench, Bill Walker, city manager, City of D'Iberville, corruption, court, crime, judge, justice, Keith Starrett, law, legal, Michael Janus, Mississippi's Department of Marine Resources, Scott Walker, sentencing
BILOXI — The former head of Mississippi’s Department of Marine Resources has joined his son and another defendant in asking a federal judge to hold off sentencing him on corruption charges.
Bill Walker is scheduled for sentencing June 5 but wants a six-week delay. The motion indicates federal prosecutors don’t oppose the postponement to resolve sentencing issues.
Walker and his son, Scott Walker, both pleaded guilty to conspiring to defraud the government while Bill Walker was executive director of DMR. Former D’Iberville City Manager Michael Janus pleaded guilty to conspiracy and fraud. The government is dropping other charges against the three.
District Judge Keith Starrett has given Scott Walker and Janus postponements to resolve sentencing issues.
Janus’s sentencing is now scheduled June 24 in Hattiesburg, and Scott Walker’s on July 23.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option