FAA awards funding to airports for enhancements
Published: May 12,2014
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — The Federal Aviation Administration is giving 14 Mississippi airports a total of more than $4.8 million to improve safety and operations.
Airports at Bay St. Louis, Belzoni, Belmont, Clarksdale, Columbia, Columbus, Corinth, the Golden Triangle, Grenada, Houston, Lexington, Madison, Okolona and Starkville are getting the Airport Improvement Program grants.
The largest is $1 million to Golden Triangle Regional Airport, which serves Columbus, West Point, Starkville and Lowndes County. The money will be used to improve the terminal building and repair the runway and taxiway.
The George M. Bryan Airport in Starkville is getting $540,000 for runway safety area improvements
Fletcher Field Airport, serving Clarksdale and Coahoma County is getting $531,750 for taxiway construction.
The funding was announced in a news release this past week by U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran, R-Miss.
The grants are used to support infrastructure development projects that will improve operational safety and efficiency at local airport facilities, Cochran said.
Other airport grants from the FAA were:
— Bruce Campbell Field Airport, Madison, $404,574 for access road, taxiway and apron construction.
— Columbia-Marion County Airport, Columbia, $335,160 for obstruction removal and land acquisition for approaches.
— Okolona Municipal-Richard Stovall Field Airport, Okolona, $311,385 for terminal construction and technical infrastructure improvements.
— Columbus-Lowndes County Airport, Columbus, $266,526 to improve airport drainage.
— Roscoe Turner Airport, Corinth, $263,019 for taxiway rehabilitation.
— Stennis International Airport, Bay St. Louis, $235,053 for perimeter fencing installation.
— Belzoni Municipal Airport, Belzoni, $230,288 for taxiway construction.
— C.A. Moore Airport, Lexington, $201,305 for erosion control.
— Tishomingo County Airport, Belmont, $197,865 for obstruction removal and runway safety area improvements.
— Grenada Municipal Airport, Grenada, $150,010 for apron rehabilitation.
— Houston Municipal Airport, Houston, $150,000 for hangar construction.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis