USDA offers assistance in removing debris from tornado
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 14,2014
LOUISVILLE — The U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) has received a request to assist with the removal of debris from areas in Louisville affected by the April 28 tornado.
Officials from Winston County and the city of Louisville have requested assistance through the Emergency Watershed Protection Program (EWP). The EWP program is subject to congressional approval and provides funding via the USDA/NRCS for emergencies created by natural disasters. Funds in the EWP will be used to assist the city of Louisville with storm debris removal from the creeks and tributaries around and near the location of the temporary hospital being established to provide health care services for residents of the area.
The EWP program is designed to assist people and conserve natural resources by relieving immediate hazards to life and property caused by floods, fires, windstorms and other natural occurrences. It is a cost share program that assists units of government (sponsors) such as counties and cities with emergency recovery.
The NRCS will continue to receive requests from local units of government for assistance from the recent storms and tornadoes that affected Mississippi through the EWP.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit