EPA task force recruits MSU to battle farmland runoff into river
Published: May 21,2014
Tags: environment, farm, farming, farmland, habitat, higher educastion, Iowa State University, Louisiana State University, Mississippi State University, Ohio State University, pollution, Purdue University, runoff, task force, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, university, University of Arkansas, University of Illinois, University of Kentucky, University of Minnesota, University of Missouri, University of Tennessee, University of Wisconsin, wildlife
STARKVILLE — A task force established by the Environmental Protection Agency to curtail farmland pollution that flows into the Mississippi River has reached an agreement with 12 universities, including one in Mississippi.
The EPA says states already collaborate with universities on local water quality research and agricultural programs but to date there hasn’t been a formal process for sharing university research and ideas across the 12 task force states.
The Mississippi River/Gulf of Mexico Watershed Task Force will work with Purdue University, University of Illinois, University of Arkansas, University of Kentucky, Mississippi State University and Ohio State University. Others include University of Tennessee, University of Missouri, University of Minnesota, University of Wisconsin, Iowa State University and Louisiana State University.
The EPA says the agreement announced today brings additional expertise to develop farm runoff reduction strategies.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — Roger Wicker: Profile in discouragement
- Ecolab reducing Columbus workforce
- Tommy Robertson indicted on five counts of embezzlement
- State's ventures into alt-fuel markets net few jobs
- BILL CRAWFORD — More jobs, but fewer with jobs, huh?
- Lab owner loses challenge to 40 months in waste case
- MSU-CVM professor leads major reference publication
- ANITA MODAK-TRURAN — Mississippi’s motion picture renaissance
- Watch out for wildlife while driving on roads, highways