Palmertree handed another demand; total surpasses $1M
Published: May 22,2014
Tags: audit, circuit clerk, court, crime, demand, Hinds County Chancery Court, law, legal, Madison County School District, misapropriation, Office of State Auditor, Shelly Ashley-Palmertree, Stacey Pickering, state auditor, Warren County, Warren County Board of Supervisors, Warren County Grand Jury
VICKSBURG — State Auditor Stacey Pickering has issued a civil demand for $229,880 from former Warren County Circuit Clerk Shelly Ashley Palmertree.
That brings the total amount of demands issued against her to more than $1.04 million.
Pickering said today in a news release that amount represents fees that Palmertree withdrew from the civil and criminal accounts of Warren County that she was not entitled to receive.
The total includes $203,327 plus $18,669 in interest and $7,882 in investigative costs.
In March 2013, the auditors issued a demand against Palmertree for $661,751. That case is pending in Hinds County Chancery Court.
A subsequent demand was issued in August for payment totaling $156,500 for exceeding the fee cap in 2012, as well as additional funds from 2011.
In January 2014, Palmertree was indicted on three felony counts of embezzlement by a Warren County Grand Jury.
On Monday, Palmertree was removed from office by the Warren County Board of Supervisors for violating the state law governing residency requirements for elected officials. Supervisors said investigators from the Office of the State Auditor presented an affidavit from the Madison County School District signed by Palmertree in 2013, attesting that she was a resident of Canton in Madison County.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- McDaniel cites Gunn's challenge in his attempt to overturn loss to Cochran
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- UPDATE — David Watkins says JRA left him in dark about HUD's Farish St. involvement
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- Once the bane of only Southerners, kudzu is migrating north and west
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- Senators push for protecting steel producers from imported rebar
- SouthGroup Insurance named to 'Best Practices' study