FTC approves Franchise Services’ sale of airport locations
by MBJ Staff
Published: June 2,2014
Tags: acquisition, Advantage Rent A Car, airport, Avis, bankruptcy, court, Federal Trade Commission, Fran chise Services of North America Inc., Hertz, law, legal, purchase, rental car, sale, Simply Wheelz LLC
RIDGELAND — Franchise Services of North America Inc. (FSNA) has released an update on the previously announced proposed sale of 22 airport concession agreements used by the company’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Simply Wheelz, LLC, which formerly did business as Advantage Rent A Car.
The Federal Trade Commission has approved the sale of 12 of the locations to Avis Budget Car Rental, LLC and 10 locations to The Hertz Corporation.
Avis and Hertz were previously selected as successful bidders for the locations in accordance with bidding procedures approved by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Mississippi in the Simply Wheelz insolvency proceedings.
Pursuant to binding term sheets agreed to by the respective parties and approved by the court, Avis will acquire the 12 locations for approximately $6 million in cash, plus the assumption of certain liabilities of the Advantage business associated with such locations. Hertz will acquire the 10 locations for approximately $200,000 in cash, plus the assumption of certain liabilities of the Advantage business associated with such locations and the continued right of Advantage to use Hertz’s vehicle fleet during April, May and June 2014, which the parties agreed had a value of approximately $3.5 million.
Completion of the sale of each individual location may remain subject to receipt of appropriate third-party approvals in respect of such location; however, the total consideration for the Avis asset sale will be payable by Avis upon closing of the sale of the first location pursuant to the Avis asset sale and the total consideration for the Hertz asset sale will be payable by Hertz upon closing of the sale of the first location pursuant to the Hertz asset sale.
The sale of all locations pursuant to the Avis and Hertz asset sales is currently expected to be completed by the end of June 2014.
Simply Wheelz filed for bankruptcy protection under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code on Nov. 5, 2013.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal