Cochran, McDaniel exchange jabs on federal spending, deficit
Published: June 10,2014
Tags: Chris McDaniel, Congress, conservative, deficit, election, federal spending, political campaign, politician, Politics, republican, runoff, Senate, Tea Party, Thad Cochran, University of Southern Mississippi
HATTIESBURG — Mississippi’s two Republican candidates for U.S. Senate are beginning to fire directly at each other, even as party officials prepare to make their runoff official.
Six-term incumbent U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran visited Forrest General Hospital and the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg today, highlighting both as programs he’s helped finance. Cochran says it would “dangerous” to elect McDaniel, who has criticized Cochran’s role in federal spending.
McDaniel, a state senator, isn’t letting up on his criticism of Cochran and deficits. At a stop in Meridian, he told WTOK-TV that voters need to elect “adults” to the Senate to prevent Congress from “recklessly” spending money.
The state Republican Executive Committee will meet Wednesday to certify votes from the June 3 primary, officially setting the stage for a June 24 runoff.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Cochran, McDaniel exchange jabs on federal spending, deficit”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren