Eye doctor accused of killing his wife dies in hospital
Published: June 10,2014
JACKSON — A Jackson ophthalmologist who was charged in the fatal shooting of his wife has died at a Jackson hospital.
Dr. William Mayfield, a retired ophthalmologist, was arrested April 30 and charged with murder in the shooting death of his wife. Police say they found 67-year-old Susan Mayfield suffering from a shotgun wound to the stomach at the couple’s home.
Mayfield’s attorney, Cynthia Speetjens, says Mayfield was found unresponsive in his cell at the Hinds County Detention Center on May 3, and was taken to the University of Mississippi Medical Center with kidney failure. Mayfield was suffering from Parkinson’s Disease.
Hinds County District Attorney Robert Smith says the 66-year-old Mayfield was moved to hospice where he died Sunday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- Mississippi takes an incentives licking, keeps on ticking
- Bill would open hospital meetings, expand records access
- (VIDEO) ALAN TURNER: Wilson says he’s ready for elected office
- Choctaws' new hospital nearing completion
- Mississippi furniture makers on rebound with more exports