Eye doctor accused of killing his wife dies in hospital
Published: June 10,2014
JACKSON — A Jackson ophthalmologist who was charged in the fatal shooting of his wife has died at a Jackson hospital.
Dr. William Mayfield, a retired ophthalmologist, was arrested April 30 and charged with murder in the shooting death of his wife. Police say they found 67-year-old Susan Mayfield suffering from a shotgun wound to the stomach at the couple’s home.
Mayfield’s attorney, Cynthia Speetjens, says Mayfield was found unresponsive in his cell at the Hinds County Detention Center on May 3, and was taken to the University of Mississippi Medical Center with kidney failure. Mayfield was suffering from Parkinson’s Disease.
Hinds County District Attorney Robert Smith says the 66-year-old Mayfield was moved to hospice where he died Sunday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice