Eye doctor accused of killing his wife dies in hospital
Published: June 10,2014
JACKSON — A Jackson ophthalmologist who was charged in the fatal shooting of his wife has died at a Jackson hospital.
Dr. William Mayfield, a retired ophthalmologist, was arrested April 30 and charged with murder in the shooting death of his wife. Police say they found 67-year-old Susan Mayfield suffering from a shotgun wound to the stomach at the couple’s home.
Mayfield’s attorney, Cynthia Speetjens, says Mayfield was found unresponsive in his cell at the Hinds County Detention Center on May 3, and was taken to the University of Mississippi Medical Center with kidney failure. Mayfield was suffering from Parkinson’s Disease.
Hinds County District Attorney Robert Smith says the 66-year-old Mayfield was moved to hospice where he died Sunday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Realtors chooses Nita Wingard
- No debate, but Cochran and Childers lobby for votes for Senate
- Entergy agrees to cut $35M from its new rate plan
- Ford Foundation gives to UM for new science building
- Kemper County plant will cost at least another $496M to complete