Eye doctor accused of killing his wife dies in hospital
Published: June 10,2014
JACKSON — A Jackson ophthalmologist who was charged in the fatal shooting of his wife has died at a Jackson hospital.
Dr. William Mayfield, a retired ophthalmologist, was arrested April 30 and charged with murder in the shooting death of his wife. Police say they found 67-year-old Susan Mayfield suffering from a shotgun wound to the stomach at the couple’s home.
Mayfield’s attorney, Cynthia Speetjens, says Mayfield was found unresponsive in his cell at the Hinds County Detention Center on May 3, and was taken to the University of Mississippi Medical Center with kidney failure. Mayfield was suffering from Parkinson’s Disease.
Hinds County District Attorney Robert Smith says the 66-year-old Mayfield was moved to hospice where he died Sunday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring