Eye doctor accused of killing his wife dies in hospital
Published: June 10,2014
JACKSON — A Jackson ophthalmologist who was charged in the fatal shooting of his wife has died at a Jackson hospital.
Dr. William Mayfield, a retired ophthalmologist, was arrested April 30 and charged with murder in the shooting death of his wife. Police say they found 67-year-old Susan Mayfield suffering from a shotgun wound to the stomach at the couple’s home.
Mayfield’s attorney, Cynthia Speetjens, says Mayfield was found unresponsive in his cell at the Hinds County Detention Center on May 3, and was taken to the University of Mississippi Medical Center with kidney failure. Mayfield was suffering from Parkinson’s Disease.
Hinds County District Attorney Robert Smith says the 66-year-old Mayfield was moved to hospice where he died Sunday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- DAVID DALLAS — Delbert Hosemann: An unsung hero chooses to remain so
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- New Orleans congestion keeps Chiquita Gulfport port
- (UPDATED — BREAKING NEWS) American Specialty Alloys won’t locate $1.2B mill in Mississippi
- More money needed to get Biloxi baseball stadium open on time
- Cox won't seek a second term as Greenville mayor
- Mississippi auto parts workers in union drive plan protest
- Gunn to seek phaseout of personal income tax