Ex-state legislator, son die in automobile accident
Published: June 15,2014
Tags: automobile accident, CLAIBORNE COUNTY, death, Democrat, Jamie Disharoon, Jay Disharoon, lawmaker, legislator, Mississippi Legislature, obituary, politician, University of Mississippi Medical Center
JACKSON — Former Mississippi lawmaker Jay Disharoon and son, Jamie, died this week in a fatal accident on Interstate 20 in Jackson.
Memorial services were held for the two Saturday in Jackson.
The Highway Patrol says the 65-year-old Disharoon and his 27-year-old son died Tuesday when their car ran off the highway and crashed into a tree.
Disharoon was a Claiborne County Democrat when he served one House term from 1976-80 and two Senate terms from 1980-88.
Disharoon was injured in a Florida car accident in 1991. While recovering, doctors at the University of Mississippi Medical Center discovered and removed a brain tumor.
He was an unsuccessful candidate for a state Senate special election in 1997 and for a House seat in 2003.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Half century of memories — Christmas on Deer Creek to celebrate 50th anniversary
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Federal appeals court: State's abortion law is unconstitutional
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again
- Gulf oil rig explosion kills one worker, injures three
- Hunting deer? There's an app for that