Ex-state legislator, son die in automobile accident
Published: June 15,2014
Tags: automobile accident, CLAIBORNE COUNTY, death, Democrat, Jamie Disharoon, Jay Disharoon, lawmaker, legislator, Mississippi Legislature, obituary, politician, University of Mississippi Medical Center
JACKSON — Former Mississippi lawmaker Jay Disharoon and son, Jamie, died this week in a fatal accident on Interstate 20 in Jackson.
Memorial services were held for the two Saturday in Jackson.
The Highway Patrol says the 65-year-old Disharoon and his 27-year-old son died Tuesday when their car ran off the highway and crashed into a tree.
Disharoon was a Claiborne County Democrat when he served one House term from 1976-80 and two Senate terms from 1980-88.
Disharoon was injured in a Florida car accident in 1991. While recovering, doctors at the University of Mississippi Medical Center discovered and removed a brain tumor.
He was an unsuccessful candidate for a state Senate special election in 1997 and for a House seat in 2003.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Top 40 Under 40
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- MDA to close all its regional offices
- Top 40 Under 40 (digital magazine)