Ex-state legislator, son die in automobile accident
Published: June 15,2014
Tags: automobile accident, CLAIBORNE COUNTY, death, Democrat, Jamie Disharoon, Jay Disharoon, lawmaker, legislator, Mississippi Legislature, obituary, politician, University of Mississippi Medical Center
JACKSON — Former Mississippi lawmaker Jay Disharoon and son, Jamie, died this week in a fatal accident on Interstate 20 in Jackson.
Memorial services were held for the two Saturday in Jackson.
The Highway Patrol says the 65-year-old Disharoon and his 27-year-old son died Tuesday when their car ran off the highway and crashed into a tree.
Disharoon was a Claiborne County Democrat when he served one House term from 1976-80 and two Senate terms from 1980-88.
Disharoon was injured in a Florida car accident in 1991. While recovering, doctors at the University of Mississippi Medical Center discovered and removed a brain tumor.
He was an unsuccessful candidate for a state Senate special election in 1997 and for a House seat in 2003.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- Judge intends to rule on McDaniel's challenge before general election
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- (UPDATE) I-20 partially closed as vehicle carrying hazardous materials burns
- Coast family wins $644K in tideland lawsuit against state
- Corps official: River needs larger ports, locks and dams
- C Spire, UM installing Wi-Fi network at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium
- Community Bank, Pinnacle Trust ink new agreement