Ex-state legislator, son die in automobile accident
Published: June 15,2014
Tags: automobile accident, CLAIBORNE COUNTY, death, Democrat, Jamie Disharoon, Jay Disharoon, lawmaker, legislator, Mississippi Legislature, obituary, politician, University of Mississippi Medical Center
JACKSON — Former Mississippi lawmaker Jay Disharoon and son, Jamie, died this week in a fatal accident on Interstate 20 in Jackson.
Memorial services were held for the two Saturday in Jackson.
The Highway Patrol says the 65-year-old Disharoon and his 27-year-old son died Tuesday when their car ran off the highway and crashed into a tree.
Disharoon was a Claiborne County Democrat when he served one House term from 1976-80 and two Senate terms from 1980-88.
Disharoon was injured in a Florida car accident in 1991. While recovering, doctors at the University of Mississippi Medical Center discovered and removed a brain tumor.
He was an unsuccessful candidate for a state Senate special election in 1997 and for a House seat in 2003.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren