Ex-state legislator, son die in automobile accident
Published: June 15,2014
Tags: automobile accident, CLAIBORNE COUNTY, death, Democrat, Jamie Disharoon, Jay Disharoon, lawmaker, legislator, Mississippi Legislature, obituary, politician, University of Mississippi Medical Center
JACKSON — Former Mississippi lawmaker Jay Disharoon and son, Jamie, died this week in a fatal accident on Interstate 20 in Jackson.
Memorial services were held for the two Saturday in Jackson.
The Highway Patrol says the 65-year-old Disharoon and his 27-year-old son died Tuesday when their car ran off the highway and crashed into a tree.
Disharoon was a Claiborne County Democrat when he served one House term from 1976-80 and two Senate terms from 1980-88.
Disharoon was injured in a Florida car accident in 1991. While recovering, doctors at the University of Mississippi Medical Center discovered and removed a brain tumor.
He was an unsuccessful candidate for a state Senate special election in 1997 and for a House seat in 2003.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts
- Great River Industries moving headquarters to Natchez
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- 'Get on Up' movie opens in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet