Report: State’s small businesses employ nearly half of all workers
by MBJ Staff
Published: June 19,2014
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — The Office of Advocacy, an independent office within the Small Business Administration, has released a report titled Small Business Profiles for the States and Territories, an annual analysis of each state’s small business activities.
The profile includes information on the number of firms, employment, demographics and other topics using the most recently available government data.
“Mississippi’s small businesses contribute so much to the state’s economy,” said Dr. Winslow Sargeant, chief counsel for Advocacy. “Representing 48.6 percent of the state’s private workforce, no one can doubt the significant role small businesses play in our economic landscape.
Some highlights of the profile include:
- Mississippi is home to 241,481 small businesses.
- Mississippi’s small businesses employ 431,798 individuals.
- The three industries with the most small business employment are health care & social assistance, retail trade, and accommodation & food services.
- Small businesses made up 75.6 percent of Mississippi’s exporting companies generating 16.4 percent of the state’s total known export value.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Clinton office complex sold for $20.5 million
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Firm adds Brian T. Alexander
- Williams Brothers General Store is something to count on
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option