MORA recognizes groups with first Spero Awards
by Frank Brown
Published: July 10,2014
Tags: Anderson Regional Medical Center, Community Bank, Con Maloney, Cynthia Camel, Delta Regional Medical Center, Derek Turnage, Donate Life Mississippi, Forrest General Hospital, Greater Jackson Mortuary Services, Laura Gaskin, Mississippi Organ Recovery Agency, MORA, Neshoba County General Hospital, North Mississippi Medical Center, Sheila Shappley, Singing River Hospital, Spero Awards, St. Dominic Hospital, Steve Gaskin, UMMC, University of Mississippi Medical Center
The Mississippi Organ Recovery Agency (MORA) served as host for the inaugural Spero Awards presented by Donate Life Mississippi today at the Old Capitol Inn in downtown Jackson. The awards ceremony recognized hospital partners, medical professionals, corporate partners and donor ambassadors that work with MORA to promote organ, eye and tissue donation.
A total of 15 Spero Awards presented to individuals and institutions from areas throughout the state. The word Spero (Spā-rō) is Latin for “hope.” The title was chosen to reflect the hope that organ and tissue donation brings to those in need of a lifesaving organ or a life enhancing tissue transplants.
Additionally, 9 medical facilities in the state received Hospital Excellence Awards in recognition of their achievement of national organ donation performance standards by attaining one or more of three set goals.
Spero Award recipients:
Corporate Partner of the Year — Community Bank
Red Heart Award — Jackson Driver’s License Headquarters
Donation Advocate — Steve & Laura Gaskin, Aberdeen
Volunteer of the Year — Cynthia Camel, Brandon
Most Supportive Mortuary Services — Greater Jackson Mortuary Services, Jackson
Most Supportive Coroner — Derek Turnage, Pearl River County
Most Supportive Tissue Hospital — Neshoba County General Hospital, Philadelphia
Nurse Champion — Sheila Shappley, Forrest General Hospital, Hattiesburg
Most Supportive Organ & Tissue Hospital — St. Dominic Hospital, Jackson
Physician Champion — Hartmut Uschmann, UMMC, Jackson
Best Pre-Donor Management — Singing River Hospital, Pascagoula
Best Hospital Leadership — Lee Ann Lutkin, UMMC, Jackson
Most Supportive Hospital Administrator — Ray Humphreys, Anderson Regional Medical Center, Meridian
Gift of Life Award — University of Mississippi Medical Center
Award of Distinction — Con Maloney, Jackson
Hospital Excellence Awards:
Delta Regional Medical Center, Greenville
Forrest General Hospital, Hattiesburg
North Mississippi Medical Center-Tupelo
Oktibbeha County Regional Medical Center, Starkville
St. Dominic Hospital, Jackson
Singing River Hospital, Pascagoula
University of Mississippi Medical Center-Grenada
University of Mississippi Medical Center-Jackson
Wesley Medical Center-Hattiesburg
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Judge expected to rule today on McDaniel's challenge of loss to Cochran
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Circuit clerks question how to get records to McDaniel's trial
- Chefs John Folse and Rick Tramonto are dotting every ‘i’ and crossing every ‘t’ in the development of Seafood R’evolution, which is set to open in November