Starkville’s Cotton Mill Marketplace hotel breaks ground Wednesday
by Frank Brown
Published: July 14,2014
STARKVILLE, Mississippi — Groundbreaking is scheduled for noon Wednesday in Starkville for a 117-room Holiday Inn hotel, part of the the of the Cotton Mill Market Place project now under way at the intersection of Spring Street and Highway 12.
The $20 million investment in the hotel and 15,000-square-foot retail center now under construction should create more than 150 jobs, said developer Mark Nicholas, president of Nicholas Properties.
“This is a culmination of a six-year push,” said Nicholas. “We’ve worked with the city for a long time on this project, and they’ve been very supportive.”
He said the Market Place should be open in September, and the Cotton Mill Holiday Hotel will take 12-14 months to build.
The project is directly across Highway 12 from Mississippi State University, on property that was idol with abandoned buildings and rubble, said Nicholas.
Nicholas said the retail center is all but 12 percent leased. Three of the seven tenants include Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwich Shop, Hungry Howie’s Pizza and Salsarita’s Fresh Cantina. The hotel will feature a fine-dining steakhouse, said Nicholas.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Prison-contract task force working in wake of Epps' indictment
- Bryant wants free tuition for students with technical diploma
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Investigators find massive Ag Museum fire was an accident
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food