Starkville’s Cotton Mill Marketplace hotel breaks ground Wednesday
by Frank Brown
Published: July 14,2014
STARKVILLE, Mississippi — Groundbreaking is scheduled for noon Wednesday in Starkville for a 117-room Holiday Inn hotel, part of the the of the Cotton Mill Market Place project now under way at the intersection of Spring Street and Highway 12.
The $20 million investment in the hotel and 15,000-square-foot retail center now under construction should create more than 150 jobs, said developer Mark Nicholas, president of Nicholas Properties.
“This is a culmination of a six-year push,” said Nicholas. “We’ve worked with the city for a long time on this project, and they’ve been very supportive.”
He said the Market Place should be open in September, and the Cotton Mill Holiday Hotel will take 12-14 months to build.
The project is directly across Highway 12 from Mississippi State University, on property that was idol with abandoned buildings and rubble, said Nicholas.
Nicholas said the retail center is all but 12 percent leased. Three of the seven tenants include Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwich Shop, Hungry Howie’s Pizza and Salsarita’s Fresh Cantina. The hotel will feature a fine-dining steakhouse, said Nicholas.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Ex-state employee gets jail time for embezzling from school
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Madison's Christmas on Ice will not take place this year
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'