Starkville’s Cotton Mill Marketplace hotel breaks ground Wednesday
by Frank Brown
Published: July 14,2014
STARKVILLE, Mississippi — Groundbreaking is scheduled for noon Wednesday in Starkville for a 117-room Holiday Inn hotel, part of the the of the Cotton Mill Market Place project now under way at the intersection of Spring Street and Highway 12.
The $20 million investment in the hotel and 15,000-square-foot retail center now under construction should create more than 150 jobs, said developer Mark Nicholas, president of Nicholas Properties.
“This is a culmination of a six-year push,” said Nicholas. “We’ve worked with the city for a long time on this project, and they’ve been very supportive.”
He said the Market Place should be open in September, and the Cotton Mill Holiday Hotel will take 12-14 months to build.
The project is directly across Highway 12 from Mississippi State University, on property that was idol with abandoned buildings and rubble, said Nicholas.
Nicholas said the retail center is all but 12 percent leased. Three of the seven tenants include Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwich Shop, Hungry Howie’s Pizza and Salsarita’s Fresh Cantina. The hotel will feature a fine-dining steakhouse, said Nicholas.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Hosemann to launch crowd funding program