Starkville’s Cotton Mill Marketplace hotel breaks ground Wednesday
by Frank Brown
Published: July 14,2014
STARKVILLE, Mississippi — Groundbreaking is scheduled for noon Wednesday in Starkville for a 117-room Holiday Inn hotel, part of the the of the Cotton Mill Market Place project now under way at the intersection of Spring Street and Highway 12.
The $20 million investment in the hotel and 15,000-square-foot retail center now under construction should create more than 150 jobs, said developer Mark Nicholas, president of Nicholas Properties.
“This is a culmination of a six-year push,” said Nicholas. “We’ve worked with the city for a long time on this project, and they’ve been very supportive.”
He said the Market Place should be open in September, and the Cotton Mill Holiday Hotel will take 12-14 months to build.
The project is directly across Highway 12 from Mississippi State University, on property that was idol with abandoned buildings and rubble, said Nicholas.
Nicholas said the retail center is all but 12 percent leased. Three of the seven tenants include Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwich Shop, Hungry Howie’s Pizza and Salsarita’s Fresh Cantina. The hotel will feature a fine-dining steakhouse, said Nicholas.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Health officials identify another case of chikungunya virus