How Mississippi hospitals scored in U.S. News & World report’s rankings
by Ross Reily
Published: July 15,2014
The Baptist Memorial Hospital-Desoto in Southaven is the best hospital in Mississippi, according to the 2014-2015 U.S News and World Report Best Hospital rankings
Memorial Hospital-Gulfport and University of Mississippi Healthcare tied for second best ranked hospital in the state.
The Best Hospital rankings are updated every July and the hospitals are grouped into 16 individual specialty lists that range from cancer treatment to orthopedics.
Southwest Medical Center in Brookhaven and St. Dominic in Jackson tied for fourth.
Southwest Medical Center received nationally-recognized marks in the specialty of Neurology & Neurosurgery
St. Dominic received nationally-recognized marks in the specialty of Neurology & Neurosurgery
The rankings are based mostly on death rates of patients who represent especially challenging cases and on overall patient safety. Hospitals are also ranked on their reputation, which are based on annual physician surveys.
The three best hospitals in the nation are the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Md.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force