Court wants more info from McDaniel on voting records request
Published: July 16,2014
Tags: bench, Chris McDaniel, circuit clerk, court, election, Gayle Parker, GOP, Jim Hood, Joe Martin, justice, law, lawsuit, legal, Mississippi Supreme Court, Nancy Atlas, political campaign, politician, Politics, poll book, primary, Rebecca Boyd, record, republican, runoff, Tea Party, Thad Cochran, vote, Voting
JACKSON — The Mississippi Supreme Court is seeking more information about state Sen. Chris McDaniel’s request for voting records as he prepares a possible challenge of his loss to Sen. Thad Cochran in a Republican primary runoff.
Three justices yesterday asked McDaniel to tell them what laws address the disclosure of voters’ personal information. They’re also asking Attorney General Jim Hood and Harrison County Circuit Clerk Gayle Parker to respond to McDaniel’s request for voting records that include birthdates.
McDaniel yesterday also sued Rankin County Circuit Clerk Rebecca Boyd for access to voter rolls.
A Jackson County circuit judge ordered Circuit Clerk Joe Martin to give McDaniel access to voter rolls there.
Texas-based U.S. District Judge Nancy Atlas was assigned to hear a federal lawsuit involving access to Mississippi voting records.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer