Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
by Ted Carter
Published: July 29,2014
Low-cost carrier Allegiant Air would give Jackson two direct flights a week to and from Orlando under an agreement approved Monday by the Jackson Municipal Airport Authority and contingent on a U.S. Department of Transportation grant subsidy.
Flights offered by the Nevada-based commercial and charter airline would land at Orlando/Sanford International, a small airport in the Central Florida city of Sanford about 15 miles north of Orlando.
Access to Orlando and its theme parks is made easier through a toll expressway that rings the entire metro area, including Sanford.
Jackson Medgar Wiley Evers International lost direct service to Orlando with the June departure of Southwest Airlines.
The duration of the service will hinge on passenger levels to and from Jackson, said Dirk Vanderleest, Airport Au8thority CEO.
“If they like it, they will stay if not they pull out,” he said.
He emphasized the Small Community Air Service Development Grants approval is “not firm,” though airport officials previously have voiced confidence the U.S. DOT will approve the grant designed to meet air transportation needs of under-served airports.
The grant is the same one by which the airport gained service to New York City. “We feel fairly confident that we will be equally successful this year,” airport spokesman Gene Moore said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Comstock quits Tuscaloosa play on falling prices
- Clinton office complex sold for $20.5 million
- Meadville mayor seeks Sojourner's Senate seat
- Entergy plans three solar-power pilot projects
- PHIL HARDWICK: Characteristics of a good year-end fundraising letter
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Record soybean yield is valued at $1.17 billion
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case