Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62
Published: July 29,2014
GLOSTER — Former state Rep. David Green, who championed higher salaries for state employees in a 26-year career in the Mississippi House, has died after an extended illness. He was 62.
Officials with Marshall Funeral Home of Bude and with the House clerk’s office said Green died Friday at his home in Gloster. The cause of death was not released but Green had suffered heart problems for many years.
Services are scheduled for 11 a.m. Thursday at St. Matthew Baptist Church in Garden City.
Green was known for folksy turns of phrase and for eloquent, heartfelt pleas for programs to help his constituents.
In announcing his retirement in 2005, Green said he’d been frustrated in his efforts to land economic development projects for his mostly rural district.
“I’m tired of having to grab and just fight to death for small things. Sometimes, you just get to the point where you have to unhitch your wagon,” Green, a Democrat, told the Associated Press.
He represented southwest Mississippi from a district that included all of Wilkinson County and parts of Adams and Pike counties.
As a member of the Appropriations Committee and chairman of the Fees and Salaries Committee, Green fought for pay raises for state employees. He also served as chairman of the County Affairs Committee.
He was succeeded in the House by Democrat Angela Cockerham.
Cockerham told the Enterprise-Journal when she went to Jackson, she found Green’s reputation preceded her.
“During his time at the Capitol he was always very well respected,” Cockerham said. “He was just really loved.”
She said after she was elected, Green told her “if I care about my district and the people, it would always show. That’s one of the things I always took to heart.”
A list of survivors was not immediately available.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years