USM Foundation sees second-highest fundraising total in history
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 31,2014
Tags: Campaign for Southern Miss, charitable giving, education, fundraising, higher education, Institution of Higher Learning, philanthropy, public university, Southern Miss Gold Rush, University of Southern Mississippi, University of Southern Mississippi Foundation
HATTIESBURG — Generating $15,560,117 during fiscal year 2013-14, the University of Southern Mississippi Foundation reports its second-highest fundraising total in gifts and pledges received during a single fiscal year.
This represents an 82 percent increase over the amount raised last year.
During the recently concluded fiscal year, which ran from July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2014, gifts to the Foundation helped increase the organization’s total net assets to more than $115 million, provided approximately $3.3 million in support to the University and awarded more than 2,000 scholarships to Southern Miss students.
Significant achievements during the 2013-14 fiscal year included the following:
• Fundraising for the DuBard School for Language Disorders 50th Anniversary Campaign and the Moffitt Health Center Campaign both exceeded $1 million.
• The Dale Center for the Study of War & Society Campaign, which kicked off in February 2014, has raised $1.6 million toward its $2 million goal.
• The College of Nursing Building Campaign surpassed the $6 million mark toward an $8 million goal, with plans for a formal groundbreaking ceremony for Asbury Hall to be held September 19.
Another fiscal year highlight for the USM Foundation was the Southern Miss Gold Rush – a crowdfunding event during which the Foundation successfully raised $200,391.90 in just 36 hours. The Foundation utilized social media platforms to encourage alumni, students, employees and friends to support their favorite areas of the University by making a gift on March 25-26. The total amount raised represents 326 gifts from donors in 38 U.S. states, England, China and Hong Kong.
The 2014 Campaign for Southern Miss, the USM Foundation’s faculty and staff campaign, set a new record for employee participation in giving with more than 40 percent of full-time university employees making gifts to the USM Foundation. This is an increase of more than 300 percent since the Campaign was launched in 2012. Designed to cultivate, recognize and inspire members of the University’s faculty and staff, The Campaign for Southern Miss uses a peer-to-peer approach that encourages participation in giving over dollars raised.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Analysts hail BancorpSouth stock buyback as ‘handsome’ reward for shareholders