Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
Published: August 1,2014
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Mississippi wildlife officials have approved dates for the 2014-2015 early hunting seasons for migratory game birds.
The early migratory game bird hunting seasons include resident Canada geese, early teal, snipe, woodcock, dove, and rails. This year, early seasons will be similar to recent years with a few minor changes.
The most significant change is the addition of 20 days to the dove season. This year Mississippi hunters will enjoy a 90-day, 15-bird daily bag limit for mourning and white-winged doves. The possession limit is 45 birds.
Mississippi is divided into two zones to maximize hunting opportunities throughout the state.
The North Dove Zone is defined as areas north of U.S. Highway 84 plus areas south of U.S. Highway 84 and west of Mississippi Highway 35.
Season dates for the North Zone are Sept. 1-21; Oct. 4-Nov. 9; and Dec. 15- Jan. 15, 2015. Season dates for dove in the South Zones are Sept. 13-21; Oct. 4-Nov. 9; and Dec. 3-Jan. 15, 2015.
The early teal season is Sept. 13-28. The bag limit for September teal is six per day with no more than 18 in possession.
The hunting season for resident Canada geese is Sept. 1-15. The daily bag limit is five Canada geese with a possession limit of 15.
The hunting season for rails and gallinules is Sept. 13-Nov. 21. The daily bag limit for clapper rails and king rails is 15 singly or in aggregate and possession limit is 45 singly or in aggregate. Daily bag limits for Virginia rails and sora rails is 25 singly or in aggregate, and possession limit is 75 singly or in aggregate. The daily bag limit for common and purple gallinules is 15 singly or in aggregate, and possession limit is 45 singly or in aggregate.
The hunting season for snipe is Nov. 14-Feb. 28, 2015. The daily bag limit is eight snipe with a possession limit of 24 birds.
Woodcock season is Dec. 18-Jan. 31, 2015. The daily bag limit is three woodcock with a possession limit of nine birds.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- MBJ Business Woman of the Year Top 10
- (UPDATED — BREAKING NEWS) American Specialty Alloys won’t locate $1.2B mill in Mississippi
- 2014 a good year for filmmaking in Mississippi
- PHIL HARDWICK: When Bill Cooley talks, people listen