Secretary of State assisting in investigation of school A/C thefts, vandalism
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 7,2014
Tags: air conditioning, crime, Delbert Hosemann, education, investigation, Jackson Public Schools, law, LeadsOnline, legal, public education, public school, recycling, school, scrap metal, Secretary of State's Office, theft, vandalism
JACKSON — Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann has issued an alert on the statewide scrap metal registration system, LeadsOnline, regarding the recent theft and vandalism of more than 50 air conditioning units in Jackson area schools.
“You cannot get much worse than stealing from schoolchildren at the start of the school year,” says Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann. “Our agency wants to put all scrap metal dealers in the state on heightened alert for any attempt to sell air conditioning components whether altered or intact.”
The Mississippi Secretary of State’s Office regulates the sale of scrap metal in the State of Mississippi. In 2008, Secretary Hosemann implemented the LeadsOnline system, which utilizes a web-based system for recording scrap metal transactions across the State.
“By monitoring the LeadsOnline system, where we suspect scrap metal thieves are trying to sell stolen scrap metal, we will immediately contact the appropriate authorities,” says Hosemann.
Only a licensed HVAC business may present air conditioning components to sell at a salvage scrap yard. The Secretary of State’s Office has dispatched scrap metal investigators and given Jackson Public Schools access to the LeadsOnline system to assist with the investigation.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Gulf oil and gas leases to go up for sale in March
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics