MEMA/National Guard team helping Hawaii deal with tropical weather
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 11,2014
Tags: disaster recovery, disaster relief, disaster response, Don Wilson, Doug Mayne, Emergency Management Assistance Compact, Hawaii Emergency Management, Hurricane Julio, Mississippi Army National Guard, Mississippi Emergency Management Agency, natural disaster, Robert Latham, Tropical Storm Iselle, Weather
PEARL — A five-man team comprised of four Mississippi Emergency Management Agency staff and one Mississippi Army National Guard member has gone to Hawaii to support response efforts to Tropical Storm Iselle and oncoming Hurricane Julio. The team was requested by Hawaii Emergency Management through the Emergency Management Assistance Compact.
“I have been in close contact with Hawaii EMA Director Doug Mayne since Monday and told him Gov. Bryant said we would help with anything they may need. Late last night we finalized the details of this mission and got them on a plane first thing this morning,” said MEMA Executive Director Robert Latham. “It’s through those personal relationships I have with other states and our experience with hurricanes that makes this possible.” We are honored to be able to assist Hawaii with their efforts as the state is being hit for the first time in more than 20 years.”
The team is what’s called an EMAC “A-Team,” which will help coordinate response and recovery resources into the state of Hawaii. The mission is being led by MEMA Logistics Chief Don Wilson and is scheduled to last for 14 days.
The Emergency Management Assistance Compact is an agreement signed by all 50 states and the U.S. Territories and allows for state-to-state support during disasters. The expenses for this deployment are being paid by the state of Hawaii.
MEMA is prepared to send more support if it is requested.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring