Mississippi Center for Legal Services celebrates 40th anniversary
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 13,2014
JACKSON — The Mississippi Center for Legal Services will celebrate its 40th anniversary tomorrow at the Jackson Convention Complex, 105 East Pascagoula Street, Jackson.
A reception for honorees will begin at 6 p.m. Dinner and the program will follow at 7 p.m. The keynote speaker for the evening will be Major General Augustus L. Collins, the adjutant general of Mississippi.
On July 24, 1974, Congress passed the Legal Services Act. The Mississippi Center for Legal Services (MCLS) believes it is essential that the 40th anniversary of the passage of this important legislation be celebrated.
MCLS will honor prominent members of the community who served as past executive directors and board chairs for the vital role their leadership played in promoting equal access to justice.
The Mississippi Center for Legal Services represents low-income people in 43 central and south Mississippi counties in civil legal matters including family law, housing and foreclosure, consumer issues and income maintenance. Legal Services also assists military families and provides civil legal assistance to victims of disasters.
Its clients are as diverse, inclusive of all races, ethnic groups and ages. They include the working poor, the new poor (persons, as a result of the loss of job and not able to secure comparable income) elderly and disabled. The MCLS Call Center responds on average to 2,500 calls per month. Nearly one-half of those eligible for services must be turned away due to lack of funding. In 2013, the Mississippi Center for Legal Services assisted 12,771 people and finalized 4,497 civil cases for our clients.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Mississippi Center for Legal Services celebrates 40th anniversary”
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- Analysts hail BancorpSouth stock buyback as ‘handsome’ reward for shareholders