What you and the airlines pay
by Ted Carter
Published: August 14,2014
Here’s a rundown on fees charged airlines and passenger at Jackson Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport: Jackson Evers’s landing fees for commercial aircraft are assessed at $2.71 per 1,000 pounds of landed aircraft weight, according to the Airport Authority.
Rental for ticket counters, administrative office spaces, boarding area/gate or passenger lounges is $77.89 a square foot annually, the Airport Authority said.
The 6,672 square-foot baggage makeup facility – the part you don’t see while awaiting your bags — rents for $520,000 annually, a cost shared by all the carriers, the Authority said.
A similar cost sharing is applied to the baggage claim conveyor belts/baggage claim lobby. The conveyor system rents monthly for $2,017, which includes maintenance and utilities. The baggage claim lobby, covering 8,088 square feet of shared space, costs the airlines $630,000 annually.
Each passenger boarding bridge is leased at $1,122 a month. Unlike many other airports, Jackson Evers does not charge airlines a separate ramp rental fee. The bridge fee entitles the airline to park two aircraft per night per bridge, the Airport Authority said.
For security, the airlines pay Jackson Evers a pro-rated $400,000 annually based on the number of passengers served, according to the Airport Authority.
Passengers are assessed a $4.50 “Passenger Facility Charge” on each ticket, the only passenger charge the federal regulations allow.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “What you and the airlines pay”
Top Posts & Pages
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Hunting-weapons legislation passes House
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years