MDOT blocks off large sinkhole that formed on U.S. 61
Published: August 14,2014
NATCHEZ — State highway workers have blocked off a big sinkhole that developed this week on U.S. 61 near Natchez Regional Medical Center.
The Natchez Democrat reports the hole is nearly 15 feet wide and 25 feet deep.
The Mississippi Department of Transportation has blocked it off with orange barrels, and workers will start repairing it after engineers are confident it won’t continue to grow.
A department engineer, Albert White, says the spot started as a small depression and grew into a sinkhole Tuesday night. He says fixing the hole could take several weeks.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast