MDOT blocks off large sinkhole that formed on U.S. 61
Published: August 14,2014
NATCHEZ — State highway workers have blocked off a big sinkhole that developed this week on U.S. 61 near Natchez Regional Medical Center.
The Natchez Democrat reports the hole is nearly 15 feet wide and 25 feet deep.
The Mississippi Department of Transportation has blocked it off with orange barrels, and workers will start repairing it after engineers are confident it won’t continue to grow.
A department engineer, Albert White, says the spot started as a small depression and grew into a sinkhole Tuesday night. He says fixing the hole could take several weeks.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Realtors chooses Nita Wingard
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- Former DPS employees sentenced for selling bogus driver's licenses
- Entergy agrees to cut $35M from its new rate plan
- No debate, but Cochran and Childers lobby for votes for Senate