MDOT blocks off large sinkhole that formed on U.S. 61
Published: August 14,2014
NATCHEZ — State highway workers have blocked off a big sinkhole that developed this week on U.S. 61 near Natchez Regional Medical Center.
The Natchez Democrat reports the hole is nearly 15 feet wide and 25 feet deep.
The Mississippi Department of Transportation has blocked it off with orange barrels, and workers will start repairing it after engineers are confident it won’t continue to grow.
A department engineer, Albert White, says the spot started as a small depression and grew into a sinkhole Tuesday night. He says fixing the hole could take several weeks.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Court rules board can discipline West Virginia radiologist
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Legislators begin work on FY2016 state budget
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter