MDOT blocks off large sinkhole that formed on U.S. 61
Published: August 14,2014
NATCHEZ — State highway workers have blocked off a big sinkhole that developed this week on U.S. 61 near Natchez Regional Medical Center.
The Natchez Democrat reports the hole is nearly 15 feet wide and 25 feet deep.
The Mississippi Department of Transportation has blocked it off with orange barrels, and workers will start repairing it after engineers are confident it won’t continue to grow.
A department engineer, Albert White, says the spot started as a small depression and grew into a sinkhole Tuesday night. He says fixing the hole could take several weeks.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager