MDOT blocks off large sinkhole that formed on U.S. 61
Published: August 14,2014
NATCHEZ — State highway workers have blocked off a big sinkhole that developed this week on U.S. 61 near Natchez Regional Medical Center.
The Natchez Democrat reports the hole is nearly 15 feet wide and 25 feet deep.
The Mississippi Department of Transportation has blocked it off with orange barrels, and workers will start repairing it after engineers are confident it won’t continue to grow.
A department engineer, Albert White, says the spot started as a small depression and grew into a sinkhole Tuesday night. He says fixing the hole could take several weeks.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years