Tupelo schools adopt budget calling for raises without tax increase
Published: August 14,2014
TUPELO — The Tupelo School Board has adopted a budget that includes a 2 percent cost-of-living pay raise for all non-teaching staff, including principals, assistant principals, secretaries, custodians, bus drivers and maintenance workers.
Teachers are already scheduled to get a raise approved by state legislators, and the school board previously approved one for assistant teachers.
The district’s average teacher salary is of $46,612.
The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reports that the $97.8 million Tupelo education budget will not require a tax increase. The fiscal year starts Oct. 1.
The spending plan includes $1.4 million for a one-to-one computer initiative.
Funding includes $33.3 million from local sources, $32.9 million from the state, $8.97 million from federal sources and $10.1 million from other sources.
Finance director Linda Pannell says state funding shortfalls might cause the Tupelo district to spend some of its fund balance, which is about $27 million. However, she said the district typically spends less than it sets aside in annual budgets.
The largest expenditure is $43.2 million on instruction. Other spending sources include $10.18 million on operation, $5.35 million on facilities/construction services and $5 million on debt service.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- Margaritaville owner files for bankruptcy before landlord hearing
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- Severstal completes the sale of Columbus plant to Steel Dynamics
- Another marker going up on Mississippi Country Music Trail
- Researchers fly drone into hurricane for the first time
- House votes for transfer of Yellow Creek Port land to state
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner