UMMC chooses Terri Gillespie as chief nursing executive officer
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 19,2014
Terri Gillespie, a veteran nursing leader and Children’s of Mississippi chief nursing and clinical services officer, has been named the University of Mississippi Medical Center’s chief nursing executive officer and chief nursing officer of the adult hospitals. Effective Sept. 1, she will succeed Dr. Janet Harris, who will move to a full-time role as associate dean for practice and community engagement in the School of Nursing, a title she has held since January.
Gillespie has more than 31 years of nursing experience, most of it with UMMC. She holds a bachelor of science in nursing from East Carolina University in Greenville, N.C., and a master of science in nursing-executive track from the UMMC School of Nursing. She is enrolled in the doctor of nursing practice program at the School of Nursing.
During her tenure at UMMC, Gillespie has worked as a staff nurse in the adult emergency department, nurse manager in the surgical intensive care unit and post anesthesia care unit, clinical director of adult critical care, and operations director of the eICU, the first electronic intensive care unit in the state.
Gillespie has championed organ donation awareness, transplantation and training in end-of-life care during her career. She is a member of the Mississippi Nurses Association, the American College of Health Executives, the American Association of Critical Care Nurses and the Children’s Hospital Association.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics