EDA awards grant as county recovers from tornado
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 27,2014
Tags: disaster recovery, economic development, Economic Development Administration, Golden Triangle Planning and Development District, grant, Thad Cochran, tornado, U.S. Department of Commerce, weather. natural disaster
WINSTON COUNTY — The Economic Development Administration (EDA) has awarded a $100,000 grant to support the development of a comprehensive land use plan to help tornado-damaged Louisville and Winston County build its economic base.
The EDA Economic Adjustment Assistance grant was awarded to the Golden Triangle Planning and Development District (GTPDD) for a $125,000 project whose goal is to determine how the county’s assets can be used to foster economic development following a tornado that tore through the area on April 28.
“The EDA grant is part of a broader disaster recovery effort for Louisville and Winston County, where tornado damage knocked out jobs and infrastructure. I hope this investment will be useful to local leaders who are working to regain and strengthen the economic footing for this rural region,” Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) said.
According to the EDA, which is an agency within the U.S. Department of Commerce, the recovery project will aim to help the community “determine how to leverage existing regional assets and to support resiliency, sustainability, and economic development in the region.” The grant was awarded on a competitive basis based on the applicant’s merit and eligibility, and the availability of funds.
The GTPDD is a nonprofit organization based in Starkville that works to provide local, county and economic development organizations with information, planning and assistance to foster economic development within a seven-county region (Choctaw, Clay, Lowndes, Noxubee, Oktibbeha, Webster and Winston counties).
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring