Home > Caesars Entertainment, Harrah's Casino, Paula Deen, The Today Show > Paula Deen casino restaurant in Tunica to be rebranded

Paula Deen casino restaurant in Tunica to be rebranded

Caesars Entertainment Corp. announced Wednesday morning that it will end its relationship with Paula Deen.

All Deen restaurants on Caesars property will be rebranded, including the Paula Deen Buffet at Harrah’s Casino in Tunica. A Caesars press release said the shift would happen in “the coming months.”

“While we appreciate Paula’s sincere apologies for statements she made in her past that she recently disclosed during a deposition given in response to a lawsuit, after thoughtful consideration of their impact, we have mutually decided that it is in the best interests of both parties to part ways at this time,” said Jan Jones Blackhurst, executive vice president of communications and government affairs for Caesars Entertainment.

Comments Deen made in a deposition connected to a discrimination lawsuit filed by a former employee have made the past couple weeks unpleasant for the culinary celebrity. In the deposition, Deen admitted to using racial slurs, and to planning a wedding for a family member in which African-American workers were to dress as slaves. She has since apologized. In an interview that aired Wednesday  morning on “The Today Show,” a tearful Deen said she wasn’t a racist.

Caesars joins a procession of companies to sever its relationship with Deen. That includes The Food Network, which provided Deen some of her first national exposure.

1. D. FOSTER
    June 26th, 2013 at 17:17 | #1

WE HAVE VISITED HARRAH’S IN TUNICA FOR MANY YEARS SEVERAL TIMES / YEAR. SINCE YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO DROP PAULA DEAN FROM YOUR RESTAURANT, WE WILL NO LONGER VISIT HARRAH’S!
    WHAT A REDICULOUS DECISION!! THAT COMMENT HAPPENED 30 YEARS AGO!!

2. BFLATTOP70
    June 26th, 2013 at 20:10 | #2

Wow…. What has this pitiful nation become??? Every colored, black, what ever proper name I need use, can use the word n—-r in every song he writes and straight to number one it goes.. Why???? Because their own shoots it up the charts!!! Ever listened to a conversation between a group of young or middle aged colored men??? If not maybe someone with some sense should, u will hear the N word over and over… Now, with that being said, same conversation, I become a CRACKER, A WHITEY!!! And yet, this is ok in society today!!!! Is this not just some kind of warped and twisted double standard???? Hmm…. It makes me SICK!!!! It really gets old listening and seeing this kind of thing go on in our country today, but, I guess when America continues to allow such double standards, then why not right??? My lord, look at our GREAT PRESIDENT!!! That I ASSURE you I did not help get in office anyway… Ever wondered why he chose a WHITE marine, instead of a BLACK marine hold an umbrella for him while he give a speech in the rain??? And one of the GREATEST presidents Ronald Reagen stood out in the rain and give his speeches, with HIS troops… People… Look at all of this… This is getting worse and worse… I could go on and on with this rant, but, I know it isn’t going to change a DAMN thing… All I wanna say, Mrs Dean, I hate you feel the way you do, given the circumstances, NOWAY would I have even considered an apology… Food network… Dumbass move to one of the shows that took you to the top of the food channels, is that the way you treat all your breadwinners???? Ceasers… Lol, your company has been bankrupt before and will be again, so no suprise in your decision.. Kudos to you!!! Mrs Dean, all will be fine, maybe you can get a spot on the HARPO network, or maybe another fantastic man, Bill Cosby can get you a wonderful spot on cable… No worries Mrs Dean.. God bless you and your family!!! And as far as the rest of these fine upstanding leaders go.. GOOD JOB!!!! Mrs Dean… SMILE AND WAVE BOYS… SMILE AND WAVE….

3. June 26th, 2013 at 21:05 | #3

Really not gonna publish my comment????? Really????

4. June 26th, 2013 at 21:32 | #4

Hate that was planning trip there to eat and visit your casino, not now, all I can say is wow, this is sad

5. Mark
    June 27th, 2013 at 08:24 | #5

Let me get this straight: So some black thug rapper can stomp on our flag while spewing his hate towards just about everyone but himself and nothing, NOTHING is done about it. Then this woman (God forbid a human being say something they should not have) says something inappropriate and virtually the whole world turns against her. A bunch of double standards from a group of hypocrites. Im sure you are all saints and have never said anything you regretted. Ceasers, you are disgusting. I will go out of my way to NOT spend money in any of your establishments and will encourage my friends and family to do the same.

6. June 28th, 2013 at 15:35 | #6

This is ridiculous. Paula Deen’s restaurant was my favorite restaurant in Tunica. I hope that you all will join me in boycotting everyone that dumps Paula Deen.

7. Princeton Balmer
    July 1st, 2013 at 22:20 | #7

Paula Deen Buffet & Store WAS the IN place in Robinsonville, Tunica Resorts proper. After what was hidden finally came to the light. I along with many others applaud and bow down to Caesars Entertainment for their decision. Primarily, I wasn’t going back to their establishment at all if her name wasn’t taken off the labels…from the slots, to the buffet, suites in Veranda Tower, and to the gift shoppe. I have a set of Paula Deen cookware (about $200 worth), and now I feel so depressed by using them because she is a racist. What was done in the dark (no matter how old) must come to the light. Who cares about the phony tears and apologies. If you think before you speak, you wouldn’t the results would not have came to this result. Paula, you were dropped like a hoecake girl! In life there are consequences. Oh and as for the guy and the flag, if he bought it (you probably couldn’t have even afforded half the cost, let him do what he pleased. It was HIS PROPERTY. Racism still is a big issue in America. It’s sad to say that a lot of individuals still say that Bush was the best eventhough he was the main one to allow the war and others to be killed. And now finally…Some new names for this 560-seat Buffet…Hmmm…Let’s try Fresh Market Square, Marketplace, or International Village:) Good day peeps.

8. Mark
    July 2nd, 2013 at 13:00 | #8

Well Ms. Balmer, we know from what ethnicity you prevail by the use of the slag you chose. Hoecake girl? Really?? We expect nothing less than that given that the African American community is the most racist, by a LONG shot, of any other race in this country. Here is just one example of that: Major news outlets and political data collection organizations reported that 96% of all blacks voted for Obama. 96 PERCENT! NEVER in the American electorate has one candidate received anywhere near this kind of support from one demographic group. NEVER. Do you know why? Because blacks will vote for another, a VAST majority of the time, if that other black is running against a white simply because he or she is black. It is a known fact and no one can even try and debate it. In the last 75 years this has never ever occurred with the tables turned.Now, what does that tell you? Blacks have long since, and greatly have, surpassed any level of racisim that whites have toward blacks. Remember, blacks did not invent affirmative action, nor welfare, nor equal employment opportunity as well as a host of other programs designed to help them, whites did. Who is racist now??

9. July 2nd, 2013 at 23:06 | #9

FYI Mark, I am not African American, I am a mature young individual born and raised in the south. Thanks for attempting to single me out. That’s your problem…trying to single out and use “context clues” in order to find out a person’s race and gender, but you are incorrect. Who cares, but I guess RACIST folk of YOUR KIND do. Pure Ignorance. I guess you’re attempting to say that “whites” talk more proper huh. Lol. You’ve got to be kidding me. But back to you saying that I am an African American. How art thou knowest? Now to the president, African Americans represent just over 10% of America’s population, SO that 96% that you stated earlier really doesn’t matter. I like you have done my research. More of the white race voted for him than anyone else. Now who’s looking like a sissy. Go and put your grown man underwear, or panties (whichever you prefer) and sit down. If you support Paula so well, then you go on down there to Savannah and help her run the Lady and Sons. I wouldn’t be surprised if it has already closed. Mark you are a lowdown piece of crap that wants things your way but things must change, and they have. Knowing you, you have probably never been to her restaurants in the first place so you have NO say so at all. Shut up. Probably could not even afford the inexpensive breakfast buffet on the weekdays. Pathetic. Oh and what in the heck does Obama has to do with Paula. Is crazy of how you judge all of these circumstances due to skin color and not utmost character. Since you said that I am a woman, an African American, and is implied to be low class…I imply that you are a big bellied, white, farmer with a filthy pick-up truck from some part of the state of Mississippi. Hmmm maybe Lafayette County, but you have to have money their so maybe the surrounding areas. Back to the addition to my review. I am OVERLY ready for the brand-new Harrah’s Tunica buffet to open aren’t you Mark.

10. Ken Johnson
    July 3rd, 2013 at 09:01 | #10

Just a note in support of keeping/bringing back Paula Deen”s buffet at Harah’s in Tunica. Myself and 7 golfing friends look forward to our annual golf trip to Biloxi. We schedule a stop at Harrah’s both going and coming so that we can dine at her buffet.

11. David
    July 11th, 2013 at 16:53 | #11

I think it was an amazing business decision. Ms. Deen’s value to you and others is only as good as her exposure. Without here TV gig, which oddly enough had not been renewed (either her call or the network’s), she had absolutely no value with her name and it would diminish every day once the show was not renewed. According to the Food Network, when this came out there was only 10 days left of her contract, either her ratings were poor, Southern food was going out (which is common) or she herself had another deal on the table or so she thought. I’ve eaten at the restaurant in Tunica, Cherokee and Savannah. Was not worth the money, and since all those places are in the South, most people who eat there have granny’s, wives or aunts that cook better Southern-styled food. My only argument is that “rebranding”, if a temporary solution, fine, but one would hope that eventually you will move towards something completely different.

To those of you so interested in why rappers can use that word and you cannot it’s about re-appropriating the word causing it to lose the harm value it has when it is said as a derogatory word or hateful speech. I would hope you know this, but it’s so tempting to point out the rapper’s use of the word because it’s easy and you think it sounds smart. It is not smart, simply lazy.

besides, you’re not going to stop gambling sounds good to rant, but you are not. you’ll be back at the tables and slots soon enough and will forget the pitiful biscuits.

12. Joe Morgan
    August 1st, 2013 at 13:07 | #12

My wife & I go to Tunica mainly to eat at Paula Deens. We will now skip Tunica & go to Memphis.

13. Darlene Miller
    August 2nd, 2013 at 16:14 | #13

We were planning to visit you, but now since no Paula, We are going to Biloxi or Wind Creek.

14. acarter
    August 15th, 2013 at 15:28 | #14

I have no need to ever visit Harrah’s again! Screw you! Paula’s buffet was awesome, you lose!

15. G. Durocher
    August 20th, 2013 at 15:09 | #15

I have been and continue to be a huge fan of Paula Deen’s. I do not condone any type of racism in deed or in words. I do not believe that Paula does either. Her use of the ‘n’ word 30 years ago only reflects the place and time it was said. Like all of us, what you were or thought 30 years ago is not necessarily how you think and behave today. That she would be confronted and criticized for using this racial slur is appropriate but to cast her out completely is ridiculously inappropriate. Which one of us does not regret something we said or did a long time ago and sometimes quite recently? If we were famous, could the media find something in our past far worse than anything Paula Deen has done or said. You bet!…and if you say: “Not me”…you are lying to everyone, including yourself. I agree, people have every right to be upset with her but,….she has apologized over and over again and it’s obvious that she is sincere. Get over it…forgive and forget. Let her prove to everyone that she is sincere. I know that she’d make amends. Paula is a good person, a sincere one and has struggled to be where she is, harder than most of the famous people we revere so much and terrible things ‘intentionally’ every day but we give them a ‘pass’. Give Paula a chance to make amends.

16. August 20th, 2013 at 19:15 | #16

Just because everyone else did did not mean you had to. I am sorry to hear that.
    I think Harrahs made a cowardly decision by not standing your ground & keeping the best part of this casino. It will make me think twice about keeping my Diamond membership.
    That was a media frenzy & I am sick about the way everyone jumped in to hurt her.

17. SHANNON
    August 23rd, 2013 at 09:41 | #17

ABSOLUTLY… RIDICULOUS!
    IF EVERY ONE IN THIS COUNTRY WAS BAND OR “REBRANDED” BECAUSE OF SOMETHING SAID OR WAS SO SAID TO HAVE HAPPENED….. WE WOULD ALL BE OUT OF BUSINESS.
    I do beleive the decision of Harrah’s = will decline the business there….because Paula Deen ;’ is the only reason we go there anyway.
    Harrah’s Tunica should stand there ground,.,on truthful and honest…and for the ones who have made you who you are today – because that is the way the south is! Stand up for who and what you are….not because someone has “said ” something…
    I vote to keep Paula Deen around for years….
    After all- havent you yourself, called a name or two before….??

18. MANDY
    August 27th, 2013 at 21:18 | #18

I was planning on coming down just to eat at Paula Deen’s but now that you dont have it anymore, I dont think I will waste my money there at all for anything. This is the dumbest thing I have ever read!!!

19. wendy berry
    August 30th, 2013 at 17:40 | #19

GOD Bless you, Paula Deen! And, I pray, GOD Bless America-
    in spite of ourselves!

20. Linda Boswell
    September 6th, 2013 at 16:38 | #20

I am very sorry to see that we are now called to task about action of our past can ruin all of our accomplishments. At the time Paula Deen used the racial slurs the same words were used by many others. While the words should never be used, I think it is improper to punish this one person and not all the others who often used them on radio, on stage and on television. Also, is it only improper to berate African Americans? What about Asians, Hispanics, Native Americans, Middle Easterners, handicapped people and all who are different. We should all be forgiving and also watch the words we use. Unless our past mistakes are criminal we should leave them in the past. I myself apologize to anyone I might have slighted by word or action. God bless you, Paula Deen.

1. No trackbacks yet.