HERNANDO — Plans for a controversial AT&T cell tower south of Hernando have been dropped.
AT&T, facing static from neighbors fearing harm to health and safety and from history buffs noting a nearby Civil War clash in 1863, has retreated.
The site of the proposed tower was off Robertson Gin Road south of Hernando.
DeSoto County Interim Planning Director Gina Tynan says AT&T submitted a letter last week formally withdrawing their application.
Her office notified landowner Mike Charnes, who had filed an appeal with the supervisors to overturn the county Board of Adjustment’s Oct. 10 approval of the tower on adjacent agricultural property.
She said if AT&T resubmits an application for another site, the review process starts all over again.
BEFORE YOU GO…
… we’d like to ask for your support. More people are reading the Mississippi Business Journal than ever before, but advertising revenues for all conventional media are falling fast. Unlike many, we do not use a pay wall, because we want to continue providing Mississippi’s most comprehensive business news each and every day. But that takes time, money and hard work. We do it because it is important to us … and equally important to you, if you value the flow of trustworthy news and information which have always kept America strong and free for more than 200 years.
If those who read our content will help fund it, we can continue to bring you the very best in news and information. Please consider joining us as a valued member, or if you prefer, make a one-time contribution.Click for more info