Home » NEWS » Education » Business group calls for new charter school law

Business group calls for new charter school law

JACKSON — A group of 22 business leaders is calling for a broadened charter school law, asking legislators on yesterday to enact a law that would allow the schools to set up in any district.

The group calls itself Better Education for Mississippi and is led by Bomgar Corp. chairman Joel Bomgar, who leads a Ridgeland-based software company. He said the group wants to spark fundamental change among the state’s schools.

“By success, we don’t mean incremental improvement of where they already are,” Bomgar said.

He said all Mississippi parents should have a choice of schools for their children. His group supports creating a separate board to approve and regulate public charters, instead of giving that role to the state Board of Education.

“Mississippians are fed up with the dismal results and want meaningful change now,” Bomgar said.

Better Education for Mississippi has a Republican tinge. It includes C Spire Wireless CEO Hu Meena, Sanderson Farms CEO Joe Sanderson, EastGroup Properties chairman and former Mississippi Development Authority chief Leland Speed, former Republican gubernatorial candidate Dave Dennis, former state Republican Party chairman and ambassador to Tanzania Mike Retzer and former chief of staff to Gov. Kirk Fordice Andy Taggart.

Bomgar, whose company makes software that is used by universities and others, said he and other members of the business group did not have a financial interest in seeing charter schools open.

Mississippi law allows some failing schools to be chartered if a majority of parents request. Supporters want to make it easier to take over failing schools. More crucially, they want to allow new charter schools to be created.

One of the key points in the debate over charter schools last year was whether local school boards should get a veto over allowing a charter school in their district. Many lawmakers fought to give vetoes to districts whose academic performance is rated C and above. Bomgar said no school districts, even the highest-performing, should be able to block charter schools.

He cited an analysis showing even highly-rated districts have failing schools, with 50,000 students by his group’s count attending D-rated or F-rated schools in districts rated C or above. About 490,000 students attend public schools statewide.

Better Education has a more aggressive charter school position than the Mississippi Economic Council, the state’s chamber of commerce. Last year, MEC supported allowing broadened conversions of existing failing schools, but its proposal was narrower than the bills debated by the House and Senate.


… we’d like to ask for your support. More people are reading the Mississippi Business Journal than ever before, but advertising revenues for all conventional media are falling fast. Unlike many, we do not use a pay wall, because we want to continue providing Mississippi’s most comprehensive business news each and every day. But that takes time, money and hard work. We do it because it is important to us … and equally important to you, if you value the flow of trustworthy news and information which have always kept America strong and free for more than 200 years.

If those who read our content will help fund it, we can continue to bring you the very best in news and information. Please consider joining us as a valued member, or if you prefer, make a one-time contribution.

Click for more info

About Megan Wright

One comment

  1. Charter school is not the answer to the problem…. Mr. Bomgar needs to understand how to fix the problem and not giving the problem a boost. First of all, which parents will be taking their kids to these charter schools? The 30% of the students that are in the high average… and that leaves the 70% that is still the problem for the public schools… so how is that helping? Take those funds and give the public school a BOOST… The problem is within the schools.. It’s not just the teachers, but also the curriculum, the parents and etc….

    Parents we need to do our job and that is to start your child at an early age of exposing them to numbers, letters, and holding a pencil etc… You cannot expect for your child to learn his or her first lesson academically on the first day of school, because if that is your mentality then your child is already behind the curve in his/her class. Teachers, Parents, Everyone in MS need to be accountable and do their job and help out… Teachers cannot do this by themselves… They can only teach the skill, but it needs to be reinforced at home… because if it’s not then we are right back where we started…

Leave a Reply