GULF OF MEXICO — Federal regulators say workers have finished removing debris from the wellhead of a gas well that blew out in the Gulf of Mexico last month off the coast of Louisiana.
The Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement said yesterday that it has approved plans to send a camera down the wellbore as part of efforts to permanently seal the well.
On Sunday, workers started drilling a relief well that will take about 35 days to complete. Drilling mud and cement will be pumped into the well once the relief well intercepts it.
Nobody was injured when the well owned by Houston-based Walter Oil & Gas Corp. blew out on July 23. Authorities said sand and debris have clogged the well and stopped the flow of gas.
BEFORE YOU GO…
… we’d like to ask for your support. More people are reading the Mississippi Business Journal than ever before, but advertising revenues for all conventional media are falling fast. Unlike many, we do not use a pay wall, because we want to continue providing Mississippi’s most comprehensive business news each and every day. But that takes time, money and hard work. We do it because it is important to us … and equally important to you, if you value the flow of trustworthy news and information which have always kept America strong and free for more than 200 years.
If those who read our content will help fund it, we can continue to bring you the very best in news and information. Please consider joining us as a valued member, or if you prefer, make a one-time contribution.Click for more info