MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ), through its Beach Monitoring Program, issued water contact advisories for five Coast sampling stations.
These segments of beach are not closed; however, there may be an increased risk of illness associated with swimming in these areas.
The affected stretches of beach are:
- Station 7 — Pass Christian East Beach, which extends from Espy Avenue east to Hayden Avenue
- Station 7A — Long Beach Beach, which extends from Oak Gardens east to Girard.
- Station 8 — Gulfport West Beach, which extends from Marie Avenue to Camp Avenue
- Station 9 — Gulfport Harbor Beach, which extends from 20th Avenue east to Thornton Avenue
- Station 10 — Gulfport Central Beach, which extends from Alfonso Drive to Arkansas Avenue
When water samples show that levels are safe for human contact, the advisories will be lifted. The Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, which performs water sampling of the Mississippi Gulf Coast beaches for MDEQ, notifies the agency when an area has returned to acceptable levels.
Additionally, swimmers are reminded that the Beach Task Force has a standing recommendation that swimming not occur during or within 24 hours of a significant rainfall event.
BEFORE YOU GO…
… we’d like to ask for your support. More people are reading the Mississippi Business Journal than ever before, but advertising revenues for all conventional media are falling fast. Unlike many, we do not use a pay wall, because we want to continue providing Mississippi’s most comprehensive business news each and every day. But that takes time, money and hard work. We do it because it is important to us … and equally important to you, if you value the flow of trustworthy news and information which have always kept America strong and free for more than 200 years.
If those who read our content will help fund it, we can continue to bring you the very best in news and information. Please consider joining us as a valued member, or if you prefer, make a one-time contribution.Click for more info